Our Blog

Adams Foundation Piano Series Eighth Season presents John and Richard ContigugliaAdams Foundation Piano Series Eighth Season presents John and Richard Contiguglia
October 26th 2008
Westminster Presbyterian Church

17 William St
Auburn, NY 13021
315-253-3331
westminauburn@verizon.net
www.westminsterauburn.org
 

Sunday, October 26, 3:00pm. Tickets are $15 (students $5); Series tickets are $25 and include the April 19 performance by Simone Dinnerstein. Call for more details.
 

Sunday, October 26, 3:00pm. Tickets are $15 (students $5); Series tickets are $25 and include the April 19 performance by Simone Dinnerstein. Call for more details.

Louis Comfort Tiffany
(American 1848-1933), 1910

A beautiful landscape window by Louis Comfort Tiffany graces the sanctuary of  the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Auburn, NY. Created in 1910 during a high point in Tiffany’s ecclesiastical commissions, the Rainbow Window is a prime example of Tiffany’s landscape windows, rare among religious commissions and considered his supreme achievements in stained glass.

Louis Comfort Tiffany was one of America’s most noted decorative artists, and although his name has become almost synonymous with stained glass, he also made pottery, furniture, textiles, jewelry, and works in bronze and enamel. He began his career as a painter, but quickly moved to interior decorations and leaded glass windows, creating a revolutionary technique using opalescent colored glass, rather than painted glass. Using variations in color, thickness of glass, and creative application techniques, Tiffany achieved pictorial effects of unsurpassed subtlety and beauty.

Westminster Presbyterian Church (formerly Central Presbyterian, and then Second Presbyterian) was founded by abolitionists in 1861, who broke away from their parent congregation to follow the Rev. Henry Fowler, who left his former church after praying publicly for the soul of John Brown. The leader of the Underground Railroad, Harriet Tubman, was married in the basement chapel of the fledgling church. In 1869, the congregation acquired land from Lincoln’s Secretary of State William Seward, and laid the cornerstone of the present sanctuary. The Tiffany window was given in memory of one of the church’s early members, Mrs. Margaret Standart Watson, by her daughter, Janet Seward, the daughter-in-law of the secretary of state.

 

Posted: Thursday, September 25th, 2008 @ 10:16 am by Curt
Filed under: Events in CNY
Tags: ,,,,,,,

 
 
 
 
 

RSS feed | Trackback URI

Comments »

No comments yet.

You are posting a comment for:
"Adams Foundation Piano Series Eighth Season presents John and Richard Contiguglia"
Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
Website URL
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)