Skaneateles First Friday Highlights Student
Artwork by Skaneateles middle school students
will be featured at shops and restaurants throughout the village during
First Friday, held 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 4.
Guests will have an opportunity to meet many of
the student artists and learn what inspired their creations.
This month’s celebration, which will kick off
Fall Fest, was organized by Kristin Hunt of The Garage Eatz restaurant and
Jessica Murphy of the Skaneateles Central School District,
with support from Sarah Panzarella of Imagine and Ellen Kluge of Rhubarb
Kitchen & Garden.
“The Skaneateles school district has some
remarkably talented students,” says Hunt. “We wanted to provide them with
an outlet to share their work with the community, while making it possible
for shops without easy access to artists to participate in First Friday.
“We tried this in May on a smaller scale, and we
had a great turnout—families loved it,” she says. “Going forward, we hope
to make it a First Friday tradition.”
Venues hosting student artwork are:
• Imagine, 38 E. Genesee St., which will feature
more than a dozen works of art, along with entertainment by the Usual
• The Garage Eatz, 28 Jordan St.
• Rhubarb Kitchen & Garden, 59 E. Genesee St.
• Skaneateles Artisans, 3 Fennell St. (under the
Old Stone Mill), which will also display fine art and fine craft from
artists in the Rochester area, accented by a chocolate tasting by Preliminaires
• Gallery 54, 54 E. Genesee St., which will also
feature new work in clay and wood by Lauren Ritchie and Fred Weisskopf in
the exhibition “From the Earth,” along with entertainment
by singer/songwriter Jane Zell.
• Johnny Angel’s Heavenly Burgers, 22 Jordan St.
• Riddler’s, 4 Jordan St.
• Skaneateles 300, 2 W. Genesee St.
* The Irish Store, 5 Jordan St.
• Creekside Books & Coffee, 35 Fennell St.
The Hysterical Fits will perform starting at 7:30 p.m.
• Roland’s, 14 E. Genesee St.
• The White Sleigh… Etc., 24 E. Genesee St.
• Vermont Green Mountain Specialty Co., 50 E.
• Aristocats & Dogs, 62 E. Genesee St.
• Pomodoro, 61 E. Genesee St.
• Grant Jewelers, 88 E. Genesee St.
• Hobby House Toys, 7 Jordan St.
Visitors to Snake Oil Glassworks, 4251 Jordan
Road, will see glass pumpkins being made and have an opportunity to select
colors and sizes for their own custom-made pumpkins. Meanwhile, the
Sherwood Inn will offer spirit tastings by Beak and Skiff.
Local artists who would like to participate in
upcoming First Fridays should contact the Skaneateles Area Chamber of
Commerce at 685-0552.