Sand Beach Church Undergoes Transformation into an Event Chapel and Hall
In 1852, the pastor of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church on Sand Beach Road bought a 70-acre farm next to the church and built a boarding school for boys. Over the years, the school became a private home and a restaurant that has changed hands several times, and is now the Springside Inn.
The beautiful church was built in 1852 and dedicated in 1855. It is in the Gothic Norman style and the estimated cost of construction back then was $7000. Bricks came from the brickyard operating behind the present-day Harriet Tubman Home.
The church served its faithful congregation until ’97 when it closed its doors after over 150 years of service. It was acquired in July ’07 by the owners of Springside Inn, Sean and Beth Lattimore, who are making the church part of the Springside Inn business. The Lattimores have restored the interior of the church to accommodate both wedding ceremonies and public space for business use and private parties.
The foyer was brought back to its 1930s beauty with its original wainscoting, period sconces and chandelier. It is the perfect welcoming area with seating. The integrity of the interior is being maintained with movable pews that can seat 100. It can be converted for tables and chairs for parties, corporate meetings, seminars and business events. The floors were refinished and the original brick is exposed on the back wall. Wood panels and sconces adorn part of the front wall and four original lights that were found in the attic hang from the ceiling.
The building has a kitchen, for catering events. The balcony also has a bar and seating area and the outside will have a handicapped entrance and additional parking. The lovely church, which has been named “The Point,” is already booked numerous events since it opened in December ’07. Congratulations to Sean and Beth on the restoration of this beautiful historic site. www.springsideinn.com
A Boutique Hotel in the Heart of the Village
Plan Your Skaneateles, Finger Lakes, New York Getaway Today!
Located in the beautiful Fingerlakes’ wine region, Skaneateles Village Center Boutique Hotel offers leisure or business travelers modern, deluxe rooms with a sense of intimacy — some with double Jacuzzi tubs, a fully ADA-compliant room and convenient off-street guest parking. (more…)
Excerpt from Persons, Places and Things IN the Finger Lakes Region
by Emerson Klees
The name “Skaneateles” is derived from the Indian word “Skan-e-a-dice,” which means “long lake”. At 350-feet deep, it is the third deepest Finger Lake and serves a watershed of seventy-three square miles. (more…)
Emerson Klees has a B.S. degree in electrical engineering from the Pennsylvania State University, a M.B.A. degree from New York University, and a M.A. degree in English Literature (Creative Writing Track) from the State University of New York — College at Brockport. He is a member of the New Society of the Genesee Historical Association and a past member of the Rochester/Monroe County Freedom Trail Commission and the New York Historical Association. Buy books here (more…)
The Phelps Sauerkraut Festival began in 1967 with a one-day program (The Home of Silver Floss Sauerkraut) with many activities including:
Little League Baseball Game
Queen & Court
Arts & Crafts Show (added in the second year)
http://www.sauerkrautnews.com The Phelps Chamber of Commerce started this festival because Phelps was one of the largest producers of sauerkraut in the world. Eventually, a committee made up of members from the community and community organizations took over the various aspects of this festival with the support of the Silver Floss Sauerkraut Company, now the Great Lakes Kraut Company
Sauerkraut factories within the Village of Phelps:
The Seneca Sauerkraut Factory located at the West end of Main Street was sold to Seneca Foods, Waterloo, NY and the building was demolished December of 1994. The Silver Floss/Empire State Pickling Company located on Eagle Street, Phelps, NY was sold to Curtis-Burns Inc of Rochester September 1, 1965, then sold to Comstock Foods. Canning ended in 1985, but cutting continued in Phelps and eventually went to Shortsville and Gorham.
Even though Phelps no longer has any sauerkraut factories working, we continue to have this festival in conjunction with the American Legion (Auxiliary Unit 457) and Phelps Fire Department and it is now a four-day event, the first full weekend in August.